Monday, June 25, 2007

Hey everybody.

My name is Michael Haight. I have been a student at SUNY New Paltz for a year now. I am going for a Bachelors degree in the Science of fine arts, but my main focus as far as media goes is in photography and sculpture, although I have done other work such as web sites and other digital media and other miscellaneous projects. Outside of art, I am also an avid musician. I play guitar and have a keen sense for sound, which is another medium have used in my works.
I formerly attended SUNY Ulster, from which I graduated with an Arts Associates degree. I also spent a year at SUNY Albany studying computer science and art, but, eventually switched to New Paltz, amongst other reasons, because of its art department. After graduating New Paltz, I hope to take the experience I have gained and have a career in architecture as well as work with sculpture. I am in the early stages of teaching myself CAD, which is something I hope to use to envision the many works of art, whether it be a sculpture, a house, etc, that I plan to create someday.

I was informed of this summer program through my advisor Steven Bradford. I was always encouraged by my parents to someday spend time in Europe. I have yet to leave the East Coast. Having been to North Carolina and Florida, those trips were the farthest I have ever taken from home, so this one would be a major experience, outside of the curriculum, to get insight into the customs and culture of Europe. Almost everyone I have talked to who has gone to anywhere in Europe has said they had a phenomenal time.

I look forward to meeting and getting to know everyone on the trip. I have to admit though, I am currently behind on the reading, I just bought the “What Makes a Great Exhibition?” book and I am now, after taking somewhat of a personal summer vacation, fully in swing of getting ready. I had taken a class on Italian earlier in the year, so I will be brushing up on that somewhat before I go. Anyways, that’s all. If anyone wants to contact me, I have the following:
Email: “mikeal5@hvc.rr.com
Myspace
Facebook
www.michaelhaight.com (still being worked on (will eventually serve as a portfolio web site))

No comments: