Saturday, July 7, 2007

Hey Everyone!

My name is Caitlin Gilbride and I will be entering my senior year at New Paltz this fall. I have never been abroad and I couldn't tell you the amount of excitement and anticipation I have for this upcoming trip. I'm sure you all feel similiar though... :) I am an art education major and I recently I have been toying with the idea of pursuing my BFA in painting after I have completed my student teaching in the spring of 2008. I know, i know that's like 2 more years of school-- but i'm in no hurry!! At this point I don't feel quite ready to teach, however maybe this fall will help me feel otherwise.
Art has been a constant love and interest of mine throughout my life. My family is all very artistic and I have always been surrounded by their ongoing creativity and love for learning. Painting and drawing is what I find myself being more involved in, however I took ceramics this past semester and loved it. The amount of time spent in the studio was quite intense but overall I felt I learned a ton and I really discovered what I am capable of. My work is mainly abstract. Lately, I have become really interested in the microscopic- cells, spores, pods, weird growths and such. It's sort of my own interpretation of the world not so apparent to us. I kind of just let myself create and then explore from there.
I just spent an extra month and a half in New Paltz after the semester ended and I had the greatest time. It was actually my first summer there and I worked and spent a lot of time both with friends and alone. It was exactly what I needed after such a hectic semester. I couldn't wait for my days off because I looked forward to my long walks alone and being able to sit and read and sketch in the sun. It was a beautiful month and coming back to Queens (which is home for me) was a difficult adjustment. I'm considering moving up there after school permanently because of the positive experience I had!

Oh and I am soooo looking forward to the food in Germany and Venice!!! I love to cook and food just in general fascinates me and interests me. I cannot wait!!!

I am anxious to meet all of you and I am sure it will be an amazing trip! See you all very soon!
Caitlin Gilbride
gilbri79@newpaltz.edu"

No comments: